Via Financial Times

Donald Trump has said he would suspend immigration to the US in an effort to curb the spread of coronavirus and protect American jobs, as the country reels from the economic impact of the pandemic.

“In light of the attack from the Invisible Enemy, as well as the need to protect the jobs of our GREAT American Citizens, I will be signing an Executive Order to temporarily suspend immigration into the United States!” Mr Trump tweeted late on Monday, without providing any details.

The tweet came as the US death toll from coronavirus hit 43,000 and the number of confirmed cases in the country neared 800,000. Mr Trump claimed last week the US had passed the “peak” of the pandemic and could soon reopen.

As Mr Trump has come under heavy criticism for his handling of the health crisis, he has touted his decision in January to ban flights from China to the US as evidence that he took the outbreak seriously. The president has said the move, and restrictions on travel from Europe, saved the US from millions of deaths.

It was unclear when Mr Trump would issue the order. The state department previously suspended most consular services around the world because of coronavirus, so potential immigrants have not been able to apply for visas.

Several of the president’s efforts to restrict immigration, and a measure to ban Muslims from entering the US three years ago, have ended up in the courts.

The decision to suspend immigration comes just days after the White House unveiled guidelines to help states across the nation decide when to loosen lockdowns and start to move towards reopening their economies.

READ ALSO  We Just Bought Another Mortgage REIT

Mr Trump has come under fire from Democratic and Republican governors for insisting the US has sufficient capacity to conduct coronavirus tests — which are critical to reopening safely — amid widespread reports that states either lack test kits or the chemical reagents to conduct the tests.

On Monday, the president mocked Larry Hogan, the Republican governor of Maryland and chair of the National Governors Association, after he announced his state had bought 500,000 tests from South Korea.

Mr Hogan at the weekend pushed back against the Mr Trump’s claims that the lack of tests was because governors were not doing their jobs, calling the statement “absolutely false”.

Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, criticised Mr Trump on Monday for his response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

“The governor of Maryland — a Republican — had to turn to South Korea to get badly-needed tests,” Mr Biden said. “Think about that: a governor had to turn to a country halfway around the world for aid because he couldn’t rely on timely help from a president and a White House that sits just miles from his state’s border.”

Mr Trump wants to reopen the economy amid concerns that rising jobless numbers could hurt his re-election odds. More than 22m people have filed jobless claims over the past month, according to the labour department. In some states, the severe lockdowns have sparked protests by people who claim their rights are being infringed despite the health risk. 

The Trump administration and Congress were on Monday continuing talks aimed at providing another $300bn in loans for small businesses, after the record $2.2tn economic stimulus package that passed earlier this month.

READ ALSO  Turkish lira sinks to record low after central bank holds fire

Follow Demetri Sevastopulo on Twitter: @dimi

Editor’s note

The Financial Times is making key coronavirus coverage free to read to help everyone stay informed. Find the latest here.