Police fired tear gas at demonstrators on Saturday as thousands of Lebanese gathered to protest against the government after a massive explosion killed more than 150 people and devastated much of the capital.

Activists have called for a “day of judgment” as public anger with Lebanon’s political elite intensified, with many Lebanese blaming their leaders and the fractious political system for the blast at Beirut port on Tuesday.

The explosion was caused by 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, a chemical compound which can be used for fertilisers and explosives, that had been stored in a warehouse at the port for six years.

Pia Chikani, 34, arrived at the protest carrying a noose, the symbol adopted for a demonstration at Martyrs’ Square near the parliament, as protesters accused their leaders of the deaths of those killed in the blast.

“All our politicians are murderers,” said Ms Chikani, a French history teacher, as the boom of tear gas cannons echoed in the streets. “They deserve to suffer like [the families] of the innocent people who died.”

Police used tear gas as protesters tried to move through a barrier to parliament.

Fouad Abouchedid was wearing gardening gloves when a tear gas canister shot into his hand. The 22-year-old graduate splashed Pepsi on his face and a friend handed him an onion. “We have to keep up the pressure,” Mr Abouchedid said. “As long as people need us, we’ll stay.”

The older generation was also on the streets. Wearing a motorbike helmet and goggles round his chin, Boutros, 70, said: “I’m not gonna leave until I dump one of those thieves in the garbage.

READ ALSO  Biden struggles to close enthusiasm gap with Latino voters

“We are earning our bread with our sweat and honour, we are working as much as we can,” he said. “We just want to remove those thieves, who stole our money and honour.”

Michel Aoun, the president, said on Friday that an investigation had yet to determine the cause of the blast, suggesting it could have been an accident, negligence or “external interference”. He has rejected calls for an international probe into the explosion.

Many Lebanese blame the country’s politicians, long criticised for corruption and mismanagement, for the explosion which came as the nation was already grappling with its worst economic crisis in decades. Food prices have soared, the currency has collapsed and the state utility provides only a few hours electricity a day.

Mass protests last year forced the previous government to resign in October. The coronavirus outbreak put a halt to demonstrations, but anger has continued to simmer as the economic crisis has deepened and political infighting has stymied talks with the IMF for an international bailout.

The explosion killed at least 158 people and wounded 5,000, while causing huge damage across Beirut. Many people are still missing and the death toll is expected to rise.

A government spokesman said the director-general of state security had requested an investigation into the ammonium nitrate in late January.

Four months later, a military court was asked to “take care of the matter” but a judge said it did not fall under its jurisdiction.

A public prosecutor was then contacted about the matter and a “file” was sent to the prime minister’s office on July 20. It was then passed on to a general, who sent the file to the ministries of public works and justice.

READ ALSO  Trump’s April vaccine forecast puts him at odds with experts

The spokesman said the ministry received the file on August 4, adding that “the delay was due to lockdown being imposed”. 

“The tragedy took place later that day,” the spokesman said. “The current cabinet received the file 14 days prior to the explosion and acted on it in a matter of days. Previous administrations had over six years and did nothing.”

The suspected source of the ammonium nitrate is a shipment destined for Mozambique.

In 2013, the Rhosus, a Russian-owned ship flying a Moldovan flag, set out from the Georgian port of Batumi for Mozambique carrying 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate, according to documents published five years ago by lawyers representing the ship’s crew in a dispute.

The ship ran into technical problems during the voyage and docked at Beirut, where officials barred it from sailing further. The ammonium nitrate was then discharged to Beirut’s port, according to the lawyers’ documents.

Military police undertaking the investigation have so far interviewed 21 people, including a former minister, according to a government source familiar with the process on Friday.

The person said another former minister would face questioning on Saturday. There are 19 people in detention related to the case, the person said.

In a televised speech on Friday, Hassan Nasrallah, the leader of Hizbollah, a Shia Islamist political party and a US-designated terror group, denied that any Hizbollah military equipment was at the port — “neither a weapons store nor missiles . . . nor nitrates”. He said the investigation would prove that.

Via Financial Times