A man has been shot and killed by armed police officers in the south London suburb of Streatham in an incident authorities said was terror-related.
Revising earlier estimates, the Metropolitan Police said in a tweet on Sunday afternoon it believed there were three injured victims, one of whom was in a life-threatening condition. It had earlier said “a number” of victims had been involved in a stabbing incident. It said the scene had been fully contained.
Police, who said the incident had been declared as terror-related, added circumstances were being assessed, and asked Londoners to avoid the area.
The London Ambulance Service said it had a number of resources attending an incident on Streatham High Road, adding that it was called to the scene at 1.58pm on Sunday.
Footage on social media showed a significant deployment of emergency services on Streatham High Road, which appeared to be closed to normal traffic.
Prime minister Boris Johnson said in a tweet that he was thankful to emergency services responding to the incident in Streatham, and that his thoughts were with the injured.
London mayor Sadiq Khan also thanked emergency services.
After two years of relative calm, London suffered a terror attack in November when a man stabbed two people to death in an attack on London Bridge, injuring another five.
Inquests into the deaths of the two victims, and that of the attacker, began last December.
In June 2017, eight people died in a multi-vehicle ramming and stabbing attack at London Bridge. The three assailants were killed by police.
In March 2017, an attack at Westminster killed six, including the perpetrator.
The current threat level to the UK from terrorism is substantial, according to security services. Such a level implies an attack is likely.
A new scale for threat to reflect all threats irrespective of ideology was devised last July, when the level was judged to be severe.
It was dialled down to substantial just weeks before November 2019’s London Bridge attack — the first such shift in several years.