Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) didn’t get her way after Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey called her to let her know that the company would not remove a tweet from President Trump featuring a video of her casually dismissing the 9/11 terrorist attack as “some people did something.”
WE WILL NEVER FORGET! pic.twitter.com/VxrGFRFeJM
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 12, 2019
Dorsey called Omar on Tuesday to discuss the tweet after Omar claimed she received a flood of death threats in response.
When the Somali-born Muslim Rep. pressed Dorsey on why the tweet wasn’t removed, Dorsey said that Trump’s tweet didn’t violate the company rules, according to the Washington Post.
Dorsey also pointed to the fact that the tweet and video already had been viewed and shared far beyond the site, one of the sources said. But the Twitter executive did tell Omar that the tech giant needed to do a better job generally in removing hate and harassment from the site, according to the two people familiar with the call. –Washington Post
Two days after Trump’s tweet, Omar said she had experienced an “increase in direct threats on my life — many directly referencing or replying to the president’s video.”
Twitter confirmed that the Tuesday call too place, telling the Post “During their conversation, [Dorsey] emphasized that death threats, incitement to violence, and hateful conduct are not allowed on Twitter,” adding “We’ve significantly invested in technology to proactively surface this type of content and will continue to focus on reducing the burden on the individual being targeted. Our team has also consistently been in touch with Rep. Omar’s office.”
Dorsey reached out to Omar the same day that he met with Trump in the Oval Office, after he accepted the president’s invitation. Trump is said to have spent much of the meeting discussing his concerns that Twitter is deliberately targeting and removing his followers, according to the Post.