For the past 5-years, Hayden Beamish has been a portfolio manager and director at Endeavor Asset Management—a hedge fund based in Melbourne, with ~$300m AUM.
The Hedge portfolio that Hayden manages ended the 2020 financial year up 28% after fees—in comparison, the benchmark Australian All Ordinaries ended down 7%.
The main purpose of speaking with Hayden was to gain insight to his institutional investment process. This includes talk of; researching companies and prerequisites for investing, the role of analysts and brokers in providing information and flow, and managing investments.
It also includes a detailed discussion about the various types of execution algorithms he’ll use for buying and selling large volumes of stock.
Timestamps & Topics:
Please note: Exact times will vary depending on current ads.
- 05.56 – Financial market experience prior to becoming a portfolio manager.
- 17.39 – Key objectives of the portfolios managed by Hayden.
- 20.55 – Investment process, identifying opportunities and performing research.
- 28.49 – Why return on invested capital is a valuable metric for analysis.
- 30.50 – Getting to understand a company when unfamiliar with the industry.
- 36.57 – Quick fundamental metrics and values for determining valuations.
- 40.00 – The conversations with company management during research.
- 43.00 – Reacting to earnings announcements from held companies.
- 49.00 – Algorithmic execution and commission sharing arrangements.
- 1.08.45 – An overview of how risk is assessed and monitored on a portfolio level.
- 1.22.00 – Suggestions for aspiring fund managers.
Links and resources mentioned: